This One Is Special
This week I wondered how I could connect my new occupation to the concepts discussed in class. I didn’t see how occupational deprivation, marginalization, or any other related topics would be incorporated into my new drawing endeavors. However, after looking into what “contextual restrictions” referenced, I found several that would apply to my situation. Economic barriers would definitely apply to art as an occupation. The cost of materials is surprisingly high and, once purchased, quickly consumed. Not having access to the tools necessary for drawing would immediately prevent any and all potential participation. I also could consider physical barriers such as illness, injury, or even vision (i.e. I lost my glasses for a day). Time constraints or obligations could also prevent occupational engagement as well as psychological barriers such as over-perfectionism. Thankfully, I do not currently have to struggle with any of these contextual restrictions (Well, aside from the glasses thing, I really do lose them a lot). However, I can see how many other individuals could be prevented from trying this activity due to any one of these barriers. Now, as this week marked the halfway point for this semester, I felt like I should do something different to mark the occasion. It was fun to branch out and, as always, I enjoyed the flow brought upon by creative thinking and detailed focus. After I finished the image, I realized that the randomly picked subject was destined for this day. Thanks to the lighting at the time I took a picture of the finished drawing, something randomly magical happened that I hadn’t planned and made me extremely excited (que gleeful jumping and giggles). An actual rainbow fell across the page and I couldn’t be happier about it! So, here it is, magical rainbow unicorns!


Hi Kelly! I can't believe your good luck with a rainbow lighting your paper! I'm really curious how this happened? You mentioned that you don't struggle with many contextual barriers outside of losing your glasses, as of right now. Since you obviously have experience drawing, given your skill level, have you ever experienced any of those barriers in the past? For example, perfectionism? I have tried drawing and that is something that has definitely hindered my engagement in that occupation. I am surprised you don't struggle with some of these restrictions (e.g. time constraints). How do you manage to keep these contextual restrictions from preventing engagement? I love your drawing!
ReplyDeleteRight! I couldn't believe it either. A window at my house needed a bit more privacy coverage and I saw on TikTok this window film that makes rainbows when the sun hits it just right each day. We all love it but I've become used to it and didn't remember until I saw the rainbows as I was taking my photo. And I appreciate the compliment, but I have never "artistically" drawn (aside from stick men and boredom doodles on my school notes) before starting this assignment. I just ended up having a knack for it and watched a ton of Youtube videos haha. Time constrictions haven't been a problem since I will do it at random times whenever I can or sometimes at night while I binge a show. And, while I am definitely slower than I could be at my projects due to wanting them to look just right, I understand that at the end of the day it is just a hobby and I have way bigger things to stress over than having a perfect shading gradient somewhere. Basically, life perspective prevents perfectionism from setting in!
Delete