A Work in Progress...
For my drawing muse of the week, I chose the brain. More specifically, I wanted to do a cross section of the brain and spinal stem. That was where I started but, by the end of the week, I found an entirely new version of my subject on the paper. It all started out fine as I went through the process of sketching my outline, which was an incredibly tedious process I might add. However, once the final line rendering was finished, I realized a crucial mistake, I had drawn a round brain. Now, you may be thinking “Of course your brain is round, what’s so bad about that?”. To clarify, the brain is rounded, not round. I had ended up with a lovely ball of a brain and absolutely no way to fix it without starting from scratch, which was not an option. So, I did some creative problem solving and switched tracks from anatomical drawing to creative interpretation drawing. By incorporating a subject commonly known by its shape, a lightbulb, the visual of a round brain makes sense when viewed as contained within the object. It even inspired me to call this drawing still a work in progress as I have come up with several ideas for next week to take this concept even further into the realm of interpretation.
Seeing myself adapt and get excited over ideas inspired by what I at first considered a botched job is incredibly motivating. I am excited to start adding to my work and see what comes out at the end. This creativity comes from the fact that my chosen occupation is exactly that, chosen by me. That process of self-determination allowed me to have a personal, vested interest in the outcomes of my drawings. This surge of intrinsic motivation encourages me to take significant self-initiative with my sketches. I have started exploring new ideas and pushing preconceived boundaries, which in turn reinforces my sense of autonomy. This freedom to pursue my new occupation at my own pace, in my own way, and by my own standards, strengthens my confidence in my initial self-determination. This sense of control of the methods used throughout this experience fosters a deeper commitment to the improvement of my skill level as well as my own personal growth. That cycle consistently fosters an increased desire for involvement in my new hobby. I am excited to watch what final personal outcomes develop from this experience. Now, what do you THINK of my masterpiece (in progress)?



Kelly! This is such a cool occupation! I totally wish I could draw like this but unfortunately, I have no artistic capabilities. Your drawing is beautiful and I cannot wait to see what else you make. I loved how you mentioned that you chose this occupation which wouldn't have been possible without autonomy and self determination. I love that perspective and I hadn't even thought about it like that. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete