Color Me Surprised

I have come to a surprising decision. Color is not for me. I was initially excited to see how much adding color to my drawings would improve the outcome. Turns out, it’s not much. I found that colored pencils have very different characteristics than standard graphite pencils. First and most importantly, they do not blend in the same way as a classic No.2 at all. Applying the same techniques to both types of marks showed me that shading with color would pose a significant challenge. Secondly, color gradients are not what they appear to be. When finding same-color shades for adding dimension, they either looked like a completely different color on paper than I expected them to be or didn't end up providing enough contrast to make a difference. It was an interesting learning experience but surprisingly, I doubt I will be revisiting that method anytime soon. That being said, I found it fairly simple to apply the concept of flow to my occupation of drawing. I have regularly felt a personal flow during many different activities and circumstances in my life. It could happen while I am cooking dinner for my family, reading a book in the quiet, planning and organizing our daily routines, or relaxing with my kids when there are no daily obligations to distract me from the moment. I can think of many more examples but, through all those experiences, one overarching commonality that emerges is unremarkable and everyday life. After learning more about the definition and effects of flow, I can identify that as ‘microflow’, which happens during occurrences that are almost imperceptible. As I slow down and focus on simplistic, regular tasks, I can easily lose outside perception while sinking into an automatic routine. For me, drawing started out as a challenging and intimidating new occupation and I had no idea what improvement, if any, would occur. Now, after 2 months of involvement, I rarely look at drawing as anything more than a fun, peaceful way to spend an afternoon. I enjoy challenging myself with new subjects and techniques, but I do so excitedly and without stress or trepidation. As this activity has become increasingly common in my weekly routine, I have sometimes found myself experiencing a peaceful flow during extended periods of focus on my current image. I continue to enjoy the occupation as I grow more accustomed to the routine of regular practice. So here it is, my (not as great as I had imagined in my head) colorfully BRIGHT IDEA… And yes, I know that was incredibly corny, but I couldn’t help myself.

Comments

  1. Hello Kelly, your occupation is pretty cool. This is my first time getting to your blog and I think that using your sketches to better understand and study anatomy is a great idea! I dont know anything about drawing so I was surprised that adding the colors added so little benefit that it isnt worth the effort. Are there different ways to add the color the might be more beneficial or would you need to go to a different medium to make it feasible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, glad you could stop by! I think that the main problem I had is that I am only using pencils for my sketches. Colored pencils (at least the cheap ones I have) just aren't as vibrant on paper. I also assume (big guess here) that due to the added colored ingredients in the graphite, they are a different, anti-blendable consistency. I think I would need to use a different medium such as paint in order to create the desired effect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts