A Tail of Epic Proportions

 As this semester draws closer to its end, I have a better understanding of the extent of the academic workload of a graduate school student. It has definitely been a taxing and extremely overwhelming adjustment period, but I have found some benefits to the change as well. First, it has required me to evaluate my priorities in life. With school dominating my time and energy, I have had to become more intentional with my time when it comes to family time, my marriage relationship, and personal obligations. Although this has been challenging, I found that it gave me a better appreciation for each experience. Secondly, I have engaged in many new activities that I would have otherwise never experienced. One of which has been creating and developing this blog and its content. When this semester started and I decided on drawing as my chosen occupation, I expected it to be just another item on my already too-long weekly assignment list. However, as I developed an understanding of the process and experimented with my personal style as well as different techniques, I have grown to enjoy this new hobby as a consistent source of leisure and enjoyment. I actually plan on continuing this blog even after the semester ends. The writing obviously won't be as academically focused and the frequency of posts will be more sporadic than the weekly rate I've maintained so far. Still, I am happy to have a place to document my progression. I have also decided to change the name of this blog (TBD) to something more relevant to my content and style (currently accepting recommendations). My ever-developing personal artistic preferences have changed over these past few months through experimenting with different techniques and subject matter. I have found that I prefer drawing things from nature and living creatures more than inanimate objects. The imperfection of organic subjects gives me leeway with minor mistakes and dissymmetry. The added challenge created through balancing the proportions of moving, changing, and unique subjects is a process that I find fascinating and pleasantly engaging.  I also learned the difference between using colored pencils and drawing with the standard black and grey palette of sketch work. I was surprised to find I have a strong preference against incorporating color into my projects, favoring instead to focus on the detail and shading techniques to make the image become more lifelike. I look forward to continuing this new artistic endeavor and finding many more unique concepts to bring to life on my paper. This week I chose to draw another (presumed) mythical creature and I absolutely love how it turned out. I think the fantasy genre might become a frequent niche for my future sketches. Now it’s time to DIVE in and show off my lovely rendition of mermaid royalty! 



Comments

  1. Kelly, I love your new drawing! There is so much detail and shading. You have improved a lot in rendering in 3 dimensions. But your first drawings were amazing as well. I'm glad to know that you will continue drawing and that you will post here. I'm looking forward to seeing your work as you continue to grow. I can't think of a good name for your blog going forward. As you are drawn (pun intended) to fantasy, maybe find a name or phrase from a fantasy novel that you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelli! I have enjoyed exploring this new occupation, and it is cool to see how I am improving. I've really enjoyed learning to shade. It makes the drawings look much better than I ever thought I could make them look!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kelly! This is my first time visiting your blog and your sketches are so good!! I really appreciated reading your perspective on your new occupation. For me, it did turn into getting added to my workload and felt like homework instead of thoroughly enjoying engaging in a new occupation, but I am glad you were able to use it as a leisure and relaxing hobby. As you continue with this blog, do you have specific goals or themes in mind that you hope to explore in your future posts?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts